Saturday 3 March 2012

Homage to the Crochet Hanger

For those of you who have been lucky enough to beg borrow or s**** of copy of Homespun Style you'll probably have spotted it is rather a homage to that most wondrous of objects - the crochet covered coat hanger.
All images: Selina Lake, Homespun Style - photography by Debi Treloar
Now if there was ever a bit of Homespun Style you should try for yourselves then this is one. You'll find a quick search online reveals all manner of vintage patterns, newby creations, video tutorials and even translations of the most gorgeous Japanese floral hangers.

FollyandGlee
 A couple of the hangers my uber talented friend Anne made for the book were adapted from our favourite tutorial by Dottie Angel.

Dottie Angel's Happy Hanger How-to
 Dottie has been at the forefront of the crocheted hangers resurgence for many years. Early shots of her gorgeous altered slips show their slippy straps slip free atop wooly sleeves of hanger.
Dottie Angel
I haven't yet spied any crochet loo roll covers amongst the Homespun homes but I'd keep an eye on the Mossy Shed cos if anyone can make one look stylish Dottie will.

Psssst. Shameless plug ...if you have trouble ( we did) finding plain wooden hangers the right "old fashioned" shape we have new stock arriving in the shop on Monday and they are only £1.50.

6 comments:

  1. Me encanta el trabajo de Dottie y muy lindo el trabajo de las otras creadoras :D
    saludos
    Claudy

    Chile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your crochet hangers i have a few myself ,they are so much nicer than plastic or wire ones xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. homage indeed to my Nan's nylon...they are still going strong about 25 or 30 years down the track, so there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tagged this on FB - hope that's okay! My Nan was a coathanger crafter extraordinaire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do love a good crochet hanger! I even have a few oldies made by my Gran.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun hanger! I remember seeing these in my Nana's closet. I have always wanted to make some for my girls and I. Thank you for sharing *-*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails